Remember, your pharmacist is a part of your healthcare provider team. It is important that you take the opportunity to ask your pharmacist key questions that will help you understand your prescribed therapy. How much you know about your prescribed medication will help empower you to optimize the way you comply with your therapy and potentially enhance the intended therapeutic benefit. Here are a few questions to ask your pharmacist regarding your prescribed medications:
- Will this prescription interact with my current medications?
- When should I ideally take this medication?
- How should I take this medication; ie. With or without food, avoiding certain foods…
- What are some side effects (adverse events) that I should be aware of?
- Is the dose for this medication fixed? Or may I adjust based on my symptoms?
- Are there generic forms for this medication with identical therapeutic benefit?
- I take …(mention any over the counter supplements you may be taking)…, will any of these over the counter supplements potentially interact with this prescription medication?
- If I miss a dose, should I attempt to make up for it by taking it once I remember, or should I stick with the prescription schedule allowing for a missed dose?
- Is there anything specific to this medication that I haven’t considered that I should know about? Please assume that even the most elementary points are of interest to me.
Your healthcare provider team works hard to collaborate, optimize and calculate your therapy. You should know that you are also an integral factor in your therapeutic outcomes. Join the team by ensuring you ask the questions above and become an engaged team member for your greater health outcomes.